The British Retail Consortium and the trade group Logistics UK recently warned of a shortfall of 90,000 HGV drivers*. The situation is likely to put pressure on retailers leading up to the busy Christmas period. Where are the jobs? Who are the top employers? We take a look.
Using Labour Insight we’ve looked at the current demand for HGV drivers in the UK, searching by Occupation code (BGTOCC) in the 30 days to 26th August.
In the 30 days to 26th August 2021:
- There were 8,117 jobs posted for HGV class 1 or HGV class 2 drivers
- The top HGV employers are XPO Logistics LTD, DHL Express and Logistics People
- The average advertised salary for these roles is £31,400
- The most requested specialist skills for these roles are Customer service, forklift operation and haulage.
- Demand for HGV class 2 drivers is currently higher than for HGV 1 drivers. The chart below shows demand for Class 1 and class 2 drivers since July 2020.
- The top hiring areas are Leicester, Manchester and Bristol:
Please note, total job count shown in table is for the last 12 months to 26th August 2021
All data from Labour Insight.
Understand demand in YOUR area with our free report
If you’d like to see the demand for HGV drivers in your area, please request a complementary LMI report, stating HGV report. Request your report here >>