Changes in the UK labour market since the arrival of Covid-19 – total online job postings in the year to 8th August
- Month on month, job postings have increased by 10.57% from June to July (445,701 postings up from 403,079). This is the third consecutive month where the volume of job postings has increased. However year on year, July 2020 saw 187,253 (nearly 30%) less jobs advertised than in July 2019. – Figure 1
- Job postings increased by 5.37% in the week to 8th August – 113,353 jobs advertised this week. Job postings are always subject to natural fluctuations and longer time periods always give a more accurate perspective on growth or decline – Figure 2
- Job postings by top locations by month – All top 3 job locations have shown an increase over the past three month period in job postings. However compared to the same period last year (Vs July 2019), London’s job postings are down 35%, Manchester’s job postings are down 26% and Birmingham’s job postings are down 58%.- Figure 3
- Job postings by most advertised occupations. All top 3 occupations have shown an increase over the past three month period in advertised roles. However compared to the same period last year (Vs July 2019), advertisements for healthcare jobs are up by 3%, advertisements for IT jobs are down 18% and advertisements for sales jobs are down 50% – Figure 4
- Job postings by top three industries – Figure 5
Data from Labour Insight. Time Series Analysis reporting on 6,397,568 online job postings for the 365 days to 8th August 2020.
Time series reporting by town, county, region is also available. Contact us to discuss your area in more detail.
High-level, aggregated job postings data for free, to enable researchers to track the economic impact on job markets. The data includes weekly and monthly counts of job postings online in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, the United States, as well as the UK. Click here to download the data in excel (.zip file). The data is available by overall count and by industry or occupation.
Figure 1 – UK job postings – by month to July 2020
Figure 2 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by week
Figure 3 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top locations
Figure 4 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top occupations
Figure 5 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top industries
Understand job postings and skills requirements in your area
Labour Insight includes job postings from thousands of online sources and enables users to understand the demands of employers, and emerging skills trends from UK wide down to town level. Data is current to the last 48 hours and goes back to 2012. Get in touch below if you’d like to see Labour Insight in an online session.