Changes in the UK labour market since the arrival of Covid-19 – total online job postings in the year to 2nd September
- Month on month, job postings have increased by 13.72% from July to August (506,684 postings up from 445,701). This is the fourth consecutive month where the volume of job postings has increased. However year on year, August 2020 saw 164,257 (nearly 25%) fewer jobs advertised than in August 2019. – Figure 1
- Job postings increased by 29% in the week to 29th August – 134,360 jobs advertised this week. Job postings are always subject to natural fluctuations and longer time periods always give a more accurate perspective on growth or decline – Figure 2
- Job postings by top locations by month – All top 3 locations (by volume) have shown an increase over the past four month period in job postings. However compared to the same period last year (Vs August 2019), London’s job postings are down 31%, Manchester’s job postings are down 15% and Birmingham’s job postings are down 54%.- Figure 3
- Job postings by most advertised occupations. All top 3 occupations (by volume) have shown an increase over the past three month period in advertised roles. Compared to the same period last year (Vs August 2019), advertisements for healthcare jobs are up by 9%, advertisements for IT jobs are down 9% and advertisements for sales jobs are down 42% – Figure 4
- Job postings by top three industries – Figure 5
Data from Labour Insight. Time Series Analysis reporting on 6,338,663 online job postings for the 365 days to 2nd September 2020.
Time series reporting by town, county, region is also available. Contact us to discuss your area in more detail.
High-level, aggregated job postings data for free, to enable researchers to track the economic impact on job markets. The data includes weekly and monthly counts of job postings online in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, the United States, as well as the UK. Click here to download the data in excel (.zip file). The data is available by overall count and by industry or occupation.
Figure 1 – UK job postings – by month to August 2020
Figure 2 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by week
Figure 3 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top locations
Figure 4 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top occupations
Figure 5 – UK job postings – Last 365 days – by Top industries
Understand job postings and skills requirements in your area
Labour Insight includes job postings from thousands of online sources and enables users to understand the demands of employers, and emerging skills trends from UK wide down to town level. Data is current to the last 48 hours and goes back to 2012. Get in touch below if you’d like to see Labour Insight in an online session.