Labour Insight case study: Aston University
Aston University is an award-winning University in the centre of Birmingham. Priding itself on consistently high outcomes; the University’s commitment to research, enterprise and inspiring teaching delivers local and global impact.
The Research and Knowledge Exchange and Careers and Placements teams aim to improve outcomes for students by supporting careers provisions and employer engagement activities; as well as increasing the number of industry partners for research projects. Keeping the university programme aligned with employer demand is also an ongoing part of ensuring the best graduate outcomes.
The teams were given training and shown how to use Labour Insight data to help them do the following:
- To inform decision making on programme alignment and development
- To provide business intelligence reports to a range of stakeholders, ensuring that colleagues have access to up-to-date information on engagement with key external beneficiaries
- To monitor engagement with specific employers and completing competitor analysis in addition to looking at trends and skills projections
- To identify gaps and opportunities in the market – for example – in assessing the demand for Degree Apprenticeships
Labour Insight is having a huge impact across the University, helping the teams make evidence based, data driven decisions. It has enabled development of the following:
- Graduate packs for careers consultants to support conversations with employers, students and schools – the data has produced insights that are helping to shape the direction of the department
- Detailed reports on industry partners for the Research and Knowledge team
- Curriculum development – building programmes that better respond to emerging skills gaps
- The Careers Team use it to show the impact on graduate outcomes and also to support graduates in understanding the breadth and depth of available opportunities, where these are and the who is recruiting
- Development of Degree Apprenticeships programmes
- For business development, to identify emerging opportunities.
“Labour Insight really fills a data gap to help us accurately and consistently assess the labour market – we’re getting so much value out of it already – it’s my ‘go to’ database for labour market information”
Book your 1-2-1 personal insights session
The best way to experience the amazing depth of data Labour Insight can offer you is to take a 40 minute demonstration. This can be done online or in person. We will show you the data that’s most of interest to you and answer any questions you may have. The demo is not a hard sell and there’s no obligation to buy.
We have extensive experience working with colleges and training providers using Labour Insight and would be glad to help you understand how the data can be utilised most effectively. Get in touch with a member of our team today.